Marie Raperto, The Hiring Hub
Dreaming of joining a startup? They look exciting, come with flashy benefits and offer the chance to do something different. While there are very good reasons to accept a job with one, there are also reasons not to do it. So, if you are thinking about joining a startup, ask yourself the following questions:
- Are you willing to accept a heavier workload?
- Do you know the startup’s investors and has it been funded appropriately?
- Is this a better more, just something different, or are you desperate to leave your present position?
- Can you handle a volatile, quickly changing environment?
- Are you ready to be hands-on, working with fewer resources?
- Do you realize that your job may be more undefined than the job description you received?
Startups can be great. Just make sure you are joining for the right reasons; they are funded so you won’t be out of work within a short period of time and you are aware of what you may be asked to do.