A new job is an exciting and stressful time. Everything you will be doing is new – new responsibilities, new staff, new boss and you might even be in a new city or doing a new commute. It’s tempting to just keep a low profile until you are comfortable in your new environment and with your new duties. But that’s not necessarily the best thing to do. You want and need to make a good first impression so here are 5 things you must do in your new job.
1. Get The Word Out – Send emails and update your social media. Get your new contact information out there. Now is the time to inform your network and grow it even more.
2. Know Your Responsibilities – When you meet with your new boss, find out what they expect from you. What needs to be worked on first. Try to work out a schedule so you two can meet on a regular basis so problems can be taken care of and any questions can be answered quickly.
3. Introduce Yourself – Update your elevator pitch. You are no longer looking for a new job so fine tune your pitch so you can introduce yourself to fellow employees quickly.
4. Socialize – Join your team for lunch or for after work drinks. Get to know them and let them get to know you. Join in on company events and meet as many people as you can. If you reach out, you will find that others will gladly help you and you may meet some great new friends.
5. Watch and Listen – Yes, you want to be seen at meetings. However, now is the time to listen and observe how others are behaving. This will help you learn the unspoken company culture.