Ken Rogers, SEO Specialist
The popularity of training and development programs for project team employees is constantly growing. Two-thirds of educators say this is a top priority in their organization. However, developing such a training program is not easy. After all, it must equip employees with the necessary skills while demonstrating business value and measurable return on investment (ROI).
What is project team training and development?
The main goal of training project teams is to increase productivity, knowledge, and organization. This type of training usually focuses on learning new skills with minimal prior experience. Development also includes leadership skills that focus on employee growth and performance, from making stressful situations to constructively managing teamwork. This area of study, also known as human capital management, focuses heavily on developing skills already present in a person.
What makes a training program effective?
Successful project team training and development programs go beyond the standard focus on new hires. These are not one-off courses that employees sometimes take as needed. It is a strategic, organized, systematic approach to learning that aligns individual growth with business goals.
According to LinkedIn data, the main objectives of the training are as follows:
- Development of managers and leaders
- Helping employees develop technical skills
- Training of all employees from different branches around the world to uniform standards
- Support for the career development of employees
- Stimulating lifelong learning.
Through taking an online project management program and obtaining a project management certificate, companies receive the most significant profits.
Why is training and development for your project teams necessary?
Employee training through online courses is beneficial for both employees and their companies. First, it increases team loyalty. Implementing an employee learning and development program can help you develop, retain and attract the best talent while reducing turnover and hiring costs. When team members feel like your company is investing in their careers, they are more likely to stay with you.
Secondly, leadership skills are being developed. Training helps grow employees within the organization and develop strong future leaders who invest in the company. It supports the principle of continuity to develop and promote talent within the organization.
Third, overall efficiency is improved. Learning new technologies and skills generates innovation and new ideas. While costs vary by industry, large companies generally spend more on training their employees. Training can also help employees do their day-to-day work more efficiently, increasing productivity and productivity.
Finally, it improves consistency in teamwork. Consistency creates quality and precise work. Day-to-day tasks and responsibilities often lose their quality over time due to outdated processes. Access to a learning and development program keeps everyone on the same wave and creates a coherent strategy that everyone can follow.
How to create a project team’s training and development program?
Effective training programs are challenging to implement. You may already have a curriculum but are not seeing results. Common learning objectives include delivering consistent learning, tracking skills and ROI, and quantifying the effectiveness of the training.
To implement a practical training and development program, identify the training needs of the organization and employees, choose the proper training methods, measure the results and make training part of the corporate culture! Involve all levels of teamwork. Record learning opportunities in an employee handbook, make them valuable and stimulate team members to speak up when they find new learning opportunities.
The teaching method (how your team learns) also influences the retention and ability to implement these acquired skills. Budget, location, number of students, type of study, and goals all affect the teaching method you choose.
- Instructor-led training. It is one of the most well-liked learning styles. This method allows teachers to answer specific questions and offer guidance to students directly.
- Online classes in real-time. Instructors conduct live sessions in a virtual classroom. Students can easily interact with their teacher and other students.
- Online courses on request. Pre-recorded activities, lessons, and tests allow students to learn at their own pace.
- Learning as a Service. This new learning method combines online learning, mentored learning, and on-demand resources to equip employees with the guidance to address new issues as they arise.
- Practical training. This on-site training method is based on the employee’s individual needs and is implemented in practice. While this is a tedious and time-consuming approach, it can be beneficial given the right resources.
- Role-playing game. Best suited for more complex roles; used in scenarios where employees may subjectively deal with a potential job. The purpose of the role play is to see how each employee reacts to the different circumstances and decisions they would make.
The success of your training program depends on the debriefing. After each session, make sure employees of the team take the time to reflect on what they have learned. What are the conclusions, what questions do they have, and what actions will they implement as a result? This step will ensure that the team will follow through and apply what they have learned.
About the Author: Ken is an experienced SEO professional. He assists businesses in improving their search engine results by optimizing copy and landing pages, as well as conducting continual keyword research. He is also very skilled in researching and implementing content recommendations for organic SEO success.