Marie Raperto, The Hiring Hub
Interview tricks are becoming more prevalent. Interviewing is becoming more sophisticated. Hiring managers are using different techniques to discover what they want to know. Many are specific questions but others can trip you up if you are not careful.
Here are some tricks to watch out for:
- Let me show you around. This is done to see what you are like on a casual basis. Your guide will be very informal and it will give the company an idea of what you will be like to work with on a day-to-day basis.
- The silent treatment. Don’t rush to say something just because there is silence. If the interviewer continues to remain silent, just ask if you can provide any more information.
- Overly friendly. A good interviewer will put you at ease. But don’t get too comfortable. Chatting will make you reveal more than you should.
- How much you do know about us? This is designed to find out if you have done your homework. If you haven’t prepared, the interview might end quickly.
- Why do you want to leave your current job? Remember don’t bad mouth your employer in any way.
- What’s your dream job? Your dream job is the position you are interviewing for. Speaking about working in a different industry or doing something else is not going to get you hired.
- Follow-up. If you are asked to follow-up about something, make sure you do. Not following up could signal your lack of interest.
- Are you honest/trustworthy? Checking for honesty can be asking if you have ever told a lie or asking the same question multiple times during an interview. Just be truthful and you won’t come across as not trustworthy.
- Do you have any questions? This shows that you are interested and are inquisitive in general. It also give you a chance to learn more about the position to insure the job will be a good fit.
- Are you polite? Remember everyone you come in contact with, can make or break you chance at getting a position. Be on your best behavior at all times.
Have you been ‘tested’? Let me know.