By Pilar Portela, US Media Relations Manager, Business Wire
Every year during Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15-October 15) we recognize the contributions made and the presence of Hispanics in the U.S. However, your PR and marketing efforts should not be focused around this one month celebration but instead should continue year round. Here are 10 reasons why:
- Fifty percent of the U.S. population growth from 2010 to 2015 came from Hispanics and now stands at 57 million, making it the nation’s second fastest growing group. The U.S. Census expects this key demographic to more than double within the next two generations.
- In 2015, Hispanics controlled $1.3 trillion in buying power and it’s expected to reach $1.7 trillion in 2020.
- Average household income was $42,396 in 2014 up from $40,946 in 2009.
- Increased voting power: a record 27.3 million Latinos are eligible to vote in 2016, up from 23.3 million in 2012.
- Latinos are powered by millennials; Hispanics are the youngest of the major racial and ethnic groups in the U.S. The median age for Hispanics is 28 years old.
- Millennials make up almost half (44%) of the Hispanic electorate in 2016.
- Latinos make up the largest group of immigrants in most states. Mexico is the biggest source of immigrants in 33 states.
- A majority of Hispanic adults (55%) say they are Catholic.
- Latinos who speak English proficiently is increasing. In 2013, 68% of Latinos ages 5 and up spoke English proficiently up from 59% in 2000.
- There is a Latina Power Shift. Latinas are outpacing Latino males in education, career development, and are the primary household decision makers. Eighty-six percent of Latinas are the primary shoppers in their households and 74% of Latinas who graduated high school between the years 2012 and 2014 are now enrolled in college.
With their buying power expected to reach $1.7 trillion in 2020, how are you reaching U.S. Hispanics? One of the easiest ways to reach this influential group is by sharing your news via a service like LatinoWire. This news service translates and distributes your news in both English and Spanish to all relevant on- and off-line news and industry specific publications ensuring discovery and action by your key Latino audiences.
Want to try LatinoWire for your next Hispanic audience release or have questions about LatinoWire distribution? Let us know; we would love to answer any questions you have.
To read and access the full Nielsen, Pew Research Center, and Advertising Age reports that were mentioned in this article go to:
- Pew Research Center Fact Tank 10 Facts for National Hispanic Heritage Month, https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/09/15/facts-for-national-hispanic-heritage-month/
- Nielsen’s Hispanic Influence Reaches New Heights in the U.S., https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2016/hispanic-influence-reaches-new-heights-in-the-us.html
- Nielsen’s Latina Power Shift Report, https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/reports/2013/latina-power-shift.html
- Advertising Age Hispanic Fact Pact 2014, https://adage.com/article/hispanic-marketing/ad-age-s-2014-hispanic-fact-pack/294335/