Ronn Torossian, CEO, 5WPR
SaaS or Software as a service is a flourishing industry. Experts predict that the market will grow by more than $60 billion by 2023. This also means that there will be a lot of competition. Due to the competition, an impact-driven curatorial approach is needed for its marketing, added to that is the challenge of obtaining results through a pandemic.
1) Free trials – Free trial is a marketing tactic that has stood the test of time. This is similar to a test-drive and even though it might not translate into a purchase, it will still serve as publicity of sorts. Despite the uncertainty, it will be an investment for the future. Facebook advertising will help promote free trials as it will increase its visibility and encourage clicks from interested customers.
2) Referral programs – Offering incentives to have potential customers sign up will be productive. A SaaS user can participate in a referral program, share their referral code through direct messaging or social media and redeem their rewards. This will lead to an expansion in customer loyalty and build a stronger user base. Some common referral incentives are discounts on subscription and cash back.
3) Content marketing – Content marketing is a lead generation tool for SaaS with tremendous potential. Internal and engaging data can be shared to convert visitors into leads. In the field of content marketing for SaaS, Hubspot is a major contender because of their emphasis on sharing superior content across different channels. Their content is relevant. A developer can learn about user experience and a customer service manager will be able to comprehend how to support their clients.
4) Using reviews and testimonials – Testimonials emphasize the strength of a business and increase brand awareness. Positive reviews on Google pages and social media spreads the good word about a business. Reviews also reveal where changes can be implemented in a product. They are also trusted more than marketing messages written by the company’s wn team.
5) SEO – To optimize SEO for a SaaS website, three user experience metrics are usually emphasized -a) CTR or click-through rate which is how many people click on a link when it appears in search results
b) Bounce Rate – The number of people who immediately exit a site after just a few seconds
c) Dwell time- How long a user stays on a site after a visit. This is related to the quality and relevance of content.
Keyword research is also crucial.
6) Participation in online communities – It will be productive to track online communities where target customers hang out. If they are on Yahoo Answers, it would be wise to get on there and participate in conversations and share content wherever possible. This will also reveal the brand to new audiences.
7) Demo video – Since only a few minutes are available to exhibit that a service is not only a solution to a customer’s problems, but it is also worthy of the expense, an effective strategy is a video of about a couple of minutes in duration. It can explain the product and its best uses.