Career Vision Boards: What? Why? How?
Marie Raperto, The Hiring Hub
Career vision boards. I recently read an article on Payscale.com about these and I was intrigued. Basically, they are a collection of words, pictures and other visuals that are arranged together to reflect your goals and dreams for the future. Once arranged, the board is left out where you will see it every day. Want to give it a try?
It works because:
- It’s concrete. It helps you conceive of, and focus on, real goals.
- It’s a reminder. Seeing it everyday keeps you focused on your goals.
- It’s visual and visualization techniques work.
- Decide what medium works for you. Will it be an actual board or on your phone or computer screen? Will you cut out words or pictures or work online? This is about what will work for you.
- Enjoy it. Your board will reflect your level of effort and care. Try to make it fun. Perhaps having a friend or family member work on it with you will make it more enjoyable.
- Focus on how you want to feel. Think about your goals and dreams and begin to select images (pictures, words, trinkets) that represent these. Remember to think about how you want to feel. For example: It’s not about making more money, it’s about being financially secure and what that means to you.
- Keep visualizing and working on your goals. When you see your board, take some time to reimagine your goals and experience the feelings associated with the images and ideas. This will keep the visualization practice active and help you attain your goals.
- Set smaller goals and celebrate your progress. Rome wasn’t built in a day so remember to break things down into manageable and concrete steps. When you reach a goal, celebrate, and look at your board to see where you started and how far you’ve come.
Remember, YOU have to take the necessary steps in your life to get there.
Have you tried this? Let me know if you have and how it worked for you.