Time for a Career Change? 3 Easy Steps to Get You There
Lately, I’m being asked a lot of questions about changing careers. More and more, candidates are considering new careers and wondering how to get there. Others want to try a new industry or move to the non-profit side.
It’s a fact of life that we all get bored doing the same thing and most of us crave change. Changing your career and the effects that can have on your bank account is intimidating. In some cases a career counselor might be the best route. If you want a total change and not sure where to go, a career counselor can help you identify your strengths and weaknesses and provide insight into what careers options might be best for you.
If you want to take smaller steps on your own, here are some guidelines:
1. KISS. Remember the old line, “Keep It Simple, Stupid?” It’s not bad advice. ny plan is better than not having a plan at all and plans are changed/amended all the time. What you really need to think about is:
- Where do you want to be in your career?
- How can you make yourself marketable to get to that goal?
- How fast do you want to move?
You might need help making yourself marketable, but if you don’t know where you want to be and how fast you want to get there, you will just be on an aimless journey.
2. Keep a journal. Handwritten or online, a journal will help you reach your goals. It’s a place to list your accomplishments and to see on paper what you have to market. Most candidates make the mistake of having their job descriptions on their resumes. What they need are the accomplishments and impact. A journal of accomplishments will help you with your resume, negotiate a raise, help with your performance review. It’s a great tool if you are looking for an in-house promotion.
3. Time your move. Take a calendar and start to schedule yourself. Do you need to meet with people to learn more, to start to network, to meet with HR. Putting it on your calendar is a reminder to do it.
Change can be hard. You don’t want to overwhelm yourself or to complicate your life in any way. One step at a time will get you there easier!