The #1 Thing to Do to Go Viral on Social Media
The secret formula for going viral has yet to actually be discovered. Some would even argue that the very essence of going viral by nature defies definition at all. For those of you who desire a more academic view of it, see the helpful resource links at the bottom of the post. For the rest of you, here’s the answer:
That’s right, that’s it. Make it easy to share your stuff.
While you’re at it, make sure that I look good when I share your stuff. If I seem cooler, more hip, more informed, more fun, more sexy, more of whatever the people I want to share your stuff with are looking for, then I score points and thus you score points. Make me look better because I shared your stuff. Simple.
How to be more shareable?
- Add single click share buttons (extra points if they also let me add my own personal commentary to the sharing) so it’s easy.
- Lighten up – make it funny, be light, make the content easy to consume on mobile devices (no huge files)
- Shorten it up – for Twitter, shoot for less than 120 characters so it’s easier to retweet.
- Ask me to share (yes, I am more likely to pass on stuff that someone asks me to pass on than not)
- Get out of the middle of the road – if you’re going funny, be really funny. If you’re going sarcastic and social commentary, push it all the way. Extremes are usually rewarded.
- Publish, for pete’s sake – your material won’t get shared if it isn’t published. Seems obvious, but I bet everyone has some priceless footage that is still just sitting on their hard drive or camera….get it out there!
- Increase the mediums available – my favorite video syndication service is TubeMogul. Use it so your videos reach across more than just YouTube.
- Include pictures, videos, etc to make it more interesting to different types of people.
Geek Corner – Resource Links
As promised, here are some links about creating virality. Pass it on!
Jennifer Aniston Tells Us How To Go Viral (hysterical and right on point!)
The Science of Viral Marketing – Applied Memetics (Dan Zarrella is one of my fave metric guys)
And hey, while you’re at it – share this – it will so make you look cooler!
[graphic by C!....]
Published: June 14, 2011 By: