21st Century Leadership Manifesto
By Elise Mitchell, APR, Fellow PRSA, President & CEO, Mitchell Communications Group
As a new generation of leaders comes into its own, the challenges have never been greater. The world is a very different place, and as the baton is passed, we must define new destinations and a new way of running the race. I believe our generation will set a new standard for leadership and will motivate others not only to aspire to it, but achieve it. A 21st century leader has these essential skills:
- We see it. – We’re clear about the vision and we make sure others are too. We’re focused on what we do well and where we can continue to get better.
- We break the mold. – We’re not interested in doing things others have already done. We’re innovators, we want to try new things, blaze new trails, find better ways.
- We stand for something. – We know what we believe and we’re not afraid to make tough decisions that keep us aligned with our values. We’re courageous.
- We believe in others. – We know excellence attracts excellence – that exponential results are possible when exceptional people work together. We constantly seek to create teams and forge alliances that achieve goals.
- We’re not afraid to risk. – We seize opportunities when they are the right ones. We’ve learned to balance calculated risk-taking and discipline in our decision-making. We’re comfortable with uncertainty.
- We’re nimble. – We’re constantly evaluating and monitoring what’s going on, anticipating change and establishing a sense of urgency when needed to lead others through change.
- We bring it. – We’re passionate, driven and tenacious. We don’t take anything for granted.
- We celebrate it. – We shine the light on the bright spots around us.
- We experience it. – We know some things in life are meant to be experienced, not accomplished. We enjoy the journey along the way.
- We share it. – When we have opportunity to do good to others, we do it.
Leadership in action…
Published: December 26, 2012 By: