Visit our Website...
Socialize with us...
Yes, we teach professional skills at AU SOC. But even more important is that we teach our students how to think. We teach them to think strategically. We teach how to target an audience, how to create a compelling message, how to write persuasively, how to advocate in a changing world of new media and cutting edge technology. The ability to communicate this way – to communicate strategically – is what our Public Communication program is all about.
Washington is our communications laboratory. It’s the PR and media capital of the world. And as the longest standing Public Communication program in the area, our program has deep roots throughout the city. Speechwriters and politicians come to class as guest speakers. Students take on nonprofit clients for their coursework. PR firms, international organizations, health care companies, congressional offices, advocacy groups – all welcome our students as interns.
Record of Success
Our goal is to educate students not only in the most recent trends but in the type of thinking that will set them apart from their peers. That’s why our alumni include top speechwriters, press secretaries, media strategists, crisis communicators, Hollywood agents, sports marketers, public diplomacy experts, nonprofit leaders, advertising executives, and public relations professionals. Our graduates run the world.
Weekend (20 months, 30 credits)
Why join the Weekend Public Communication MA Program?
- Improve or build your communications skills.
- Craft effective, persuasive message to targeted audiences.
- Plan and implement media strategies.
- Understand international and cross-cultural public relations.
Who should apply?
- Public relations or social marketing professionals who want to sharpen their communication skills and gain hands-on experience.
- Communication professionals who want to advance in their career.
- Non-communication professionals who want to change careers.
What are the benefits of the weekend program?
- Earn your masters degree in 20 months without interrupting your career.
- All classes are on Saturdays.
- Stay with the same group of students (cohort), enhance your skills and develop your network.
- No GRE required and a streamlined application process.